Pam's Passion

Pam's Passion
My passion

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Elote en vaso. yum!

I'm back!!

Ok, so you gotta know, my flank steak wasn't ready in time for dinner.  Shucks!  It looks like it's gotta go for several more hours.  I guess that will be tomorrow's dinner.  No worries.  In a quick decision, so that I could feed my family, I made beef tacos, steamed rice and "elote en vaso."  So, you wanna know how to make elote?  Where I come from this stuff is deelish!!!  Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:

Corn (on the cob, white if you can find it)
butter
salt
mayonnaise
chili powder
limes
shredded cheese (Colby Jack)

Ok, so you already know me.  I won't tell you how much to add.  Just add to taste.

step 1:  shuck the corn (is that spelled right?)
step 2:  boil in a big pot of water for about 30 minutes
step 3:  Cut the corn off of the cob
step 4:  divide the corn into small cups for individual servings
step 5:  add butter, salt, a spoonful of mayonnaise, chili powder, a squeeze of lime and cheese
step 6:  mix well
step 7:  say "chinchilagua arriba voy!" and enjoy

This works on the cob as well.  You can add everything listed above to a roasted corn on the cob, it's just messier.  This recipe is best when eaten out of a small paper cup with a plastic spoon.  Yum!

I'l let you know what our guests think of the "ropa vieja" tomorrow.  I won't get to eat it :(  It's lent season and of course I won't be enjoying my flank steak until Saturday.  boo hoo
See ya!

p.s.  for those of you still wondering . . .  have you ever played chinchilagua?  Oh the memories of my childhood.  :)

1 comment: