Pam's Passion

Pam's Passion
My passion

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I love to eat Mexican Lasagna!

I'm a lactating mother! I need to increase my calories!

Woo Hoo! Boy, if you only knew. I loooove to eat so you can imagine how happy that second statement makes me. It is glorious to know that I really shouldn't be "dieting" right now, since I am nursing my 3 month old daughter. Breastfeeding is great! It allows me to eat as I please, well almost. In all seriousness, I truly love that I am able to nurse my baby. It means the world to me. To see her smiling at me from my boob . . . so sweet. So, as you can probably guess, I am constantly thinking about eating enough and drinking enough so that she receives the nourishment she needs. For example, this morning's breakfast: a bowl of strawberries-and-cream oatmeal, 2 buttered toasts, one scrambled egg, a glass of milk, and one slice of fried bologna, which my husband refers to as ghetto bacon. Crazy right? No hint of eating a balanced meal with that spread. Trust me, I know how this looks. sigh. But I just love to eat.
Sure I'd like to get back into shape fast. I would really love to start eating better and exercising, but it's just not that easy right now. And since I obviously love food, nursing is a cool way to keep eating more (excuse). I should say that I am responsible though. No, I don't eat honey (although studies show that it really doesn't pass through to the breastmilk). I also have cut out caffeine since 1996, the year I learned I was pregnant with my first child. And if I must have a drink it is usually one light beer, which doctors say helps with milk production anyway. So, really, it's just the food that I eat. I can't help that I learned how to cook from my mom, a typical Mexican woman who . . . well . . . cooked like a typical Mexican woman! Sure I have modernized some of her dishes and have cut out lots of the really horrible stuff (like cooking with lard!) What was that about?! Although I loved her cooking as a child, and as an adult, I know that there are definitely better ways for me to prepare meals for my family, even if I do cook like my mother. :) Most of what I prepare is really not so bad, as far as calories are concerned. Well at least, I think so. Of course, my husband would probably not agree especially since he is on this health kick as of the last month or so. He is really trying to eat better and lose some weight, without letting go of his beer mind you. No, don't touch the beer! :) Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to share with you some of the meals I enjoy with my family. My husband cooks a lot, so there's lots of variety in our household. We also have four children aging from 12 years to 3 months, including one very finicky eater. So, we do our best. Last night we had my famous lasagna, Mexicanized of course, and here's how to make it:

Ingredients:

one box of lasagna
1 pound ground beef
1 large can spaghetti sauce - homemade or store bought
shredded cheese
cottage cheese
sour cream
13x9 baking pan (deep)
foil

step 1: preheat oven to 350 degrees
step 2: boil the lasagna for about 10 minutes
step 3: brown the ground beef and add the sauce
step 4: in the pan, begin the layering process in this order: lasagna, meat sauce, cottage cheese, sour cream and cheese

Continue this to make 4 layers. Notice I didn't tell you how much cheese, cottage cheese or sour cream you need? That's because it's best if you sprinkle and add according to your taste, while you're layering. Make sure to finish with the cheese sprinkled on top.

step 5: cover with foil and place in the oven for approximately 45 minutes. Uncover for the last 15 minutes.
Let cool on a cooling rack for about 20 minutes. Bake some garlic bread and enjoy!!

You can add spinach or black olives, or any other type of cheese you like! Really, it's pretty easy and it's delicious. As you will see, this is totally a feel-good kinda meal, not for those of you trying to "watch your diet." Or maybe it is, who knows! Either way, have a good time eating! I always do.
Now, back to the baby!!

Pammy Pig

1 comment:

  1. Wow...looks like a great recipe! I'll try to cook for my wife and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete